Saturday, March 8, 2014

old draft just to post

More of an aid to my memory than an interesting blog, hardly climbed since February just lost the drive. Still headed to the coop but found I was just dropping off rather than pushing that last bit to finish the problem. Never really got into the grove on my warm ups more going down for the banter and to abuse people than actually climb! Partially down to not having the strength over Christmas to commit to any projects so had nothing to focus on.

Plodded on until April when I decided to sign up to WAR! So with 2 weeks to get my training in I dropped climbing for a week. It was good to be training just to complete something instead of having to hit a certain level.

So I headed to Glendo on the 2nd to Climb but it rained so I headed up the Spinc then round Camaderry with Jimbob. I hadn't taken my shoes with me so I got a blood blister on my big toes but the running was nice, I was a little concerned about how the whole route was going to go as I felt pretty wrecked after just 1 part of 4! Cycled the bike part of the WAR route on the Thursday after work, I had never cycled over 40k before but had been covering a bit of distance in and out of work. Pleased we got round and in a reasonable time but in my head I was worried about linking all 4 parts. Then my foot hurt so I couldn't do anything over the weekend!

War day was good cool and a little damp was real nervous before the start but so were most people waiting to start so it wasn't to bad. From the minuet we started i was grand, I broke it down in my head into 4 different parts Spinc to lough Dan, lough Dan to Djouce, Djouce then the final cycle. I loved the race! I got cramps going down to Lough Dan hadn't really considered the kayak it hurt like hell and was the only time I felt I would be responsible for someone elses time so had to fully commit! Got to Djouce and didn't have to get off the bike on the savage hill to the transition. It drizzled a bit on Djouce and I got a bit to comfortable walking but managed to pick up the pace towards the end. Was quite looking forward to the cycle as it was supposed to be down hill.... It nearly broke me I lost a gel pack in my bag and was starving the wind was against us and it was a strong effort to get to the finish! I almost stopped to pick Jelly babies up off the road i was that hungry!!!
The last 1.5 k run from Laragh to the car park was a killer although I was making the action/motion of running it was barley quicker than a walk! My finnishing time was 4:59:39! I had set myself a target of under 5 hours, this was a number I pulled out the air but was pleased to get under it. Good to have a welcome committee of Eion lawless, Dave Hanlon and James Clancy waiting for me at the end nice of them to sit around and wait for me! Although I hated the idea of walking back to the car park it probably helped with the stiffness.

I'm really pleased I managed to Finish after only training for 2 weeks it was a great day out I really enjoyed it.

Had the Carphone ball that night in the Convention center, the food was lovely but I was finding it hard to stay engaged and the lovely but small foods didn't satisfy my hunger!

Cycled out to Howth on the Sunday which got rid of any stiffness I think going over the summit was a step to far but hay live and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment