Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thoughts for the day

This is a post of things that popped into my head during the course of the day. Now don't panic, its not the crazy stuff! I have to warm you into that. So today I wandered from the house up to the co-op and around town to do a few jobs and back again. I presumed this would be a better use of my time than driving to the co-op, driving back then going for a walk around The Phoenix park. It was, I did more walking but I have to say the walking around the park is a lot more pleasant.



Yesterday I drove to and from the co-op then had a lovely walk around the park for 2 hours. When I'm in the park I go top off so to speak, I don't as I walk around town. It's not that I'm shy it's just Ann says only knackers walk around town with their t-shirts off. So yesterday as I crossed over the roundabout by the zoo for my final push home I got beeped at and wolf whistled by 2 young lady's in a car (we will get to that bit in a second).



So without looking, I'm like 'sweet! Who's the man!' Then there is the quick flash of doubt but a quick scan around revealed I was the only person there. It was at this point I clocked the aforementioned young ladies. Now young they were, 18-20 maybe, ladies they clearly were not! Those awful tight tops that reveal that roll of fat around the waist then it tucks in (the top not the fat) to let there saggy fat tits hang out. Pulling just tight enough around the top to reveal back AND shoulder fat hanging out over the sleeves. They also had the stupid fringe things that puff up.



Its amazing how quickly your brain can work, I got all that in under 3 seconds. Imagine the character assassination I could give with proper research. Anyway, this stole the thunder of the original whistle beep etc. It also lead me to think women don't object to being treated like meat and whistled at, it comes down to who's doing the whistling - traditionally over weight hairy arsed builders!!!!!! Now if it was by someone as faultless and handsome as myself they would be overwhelmed.







I was chatting via the medium of comments and emails with Pierre last night and he mentioned that there where more people looking at blogs in these current recessionary times as there were more unemployed folk. He then found stats that said



Technorati is now tracking over 70 million weblogs, and we're seeing about 120,000 new weblogs being created worldwide each day. That's about 1.4 blogs created every second of every day.



source:http://www.sifry.com/alerts/archives/000493.htmlNight now



That is a massive amount of people with a lot of time on their hands. Could we or should we use are time more productively? Just think of the massive amounts of energy used to power 120,000 laptops blogging. How much does that equate to if you include all the updates? Staggering! I'd love to say I have something more interesting to do and save the planet but truth is I would be watching telly if I wasn't doing this. Baby steps, at least this works my brain!







I also feel compelled to mention 2 books, one I have just finished reading and one that is due out soon.



The first, Born to run, by Chris McDougall http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780307266309.html

This was one of the best books I have ever read. I would strongly recommend it to a friend and did, I lent it to Dec! Its all about tracking down a tribe in Mexico who run 50 to 100 miles, have very little food but also don't suffer from cancer, obesity or any of the other diseases brought about by affluent living! It also shows how they don't have the Modern day running shoe but also never suffer from knee, ankle or foot problems. It was fascinating and compelled me to go out running. Well actually run home from work! I have since thought about this and it had been a month since I had run so it took my legs nearly a week to recover.



It has made me consider an ultra marathon! I was thinking of a triathlon but i just cant be arsed to swim. It holds very little appeal to me when the weather is nice. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the odd relaxing swim, but training for it, I don't think so. So why not an ultra? I worked with a geezer who did the north face chamonix ultra and he said you don't try an ultra as you will inevitably fail. You run to finish as its not fitness that sets people apart on a 150 km run, its pure determination. Or as my father would call it bloody mindedness. For the distance I am scared but as a mental challenge I love the idea. Time will tell.





The second book i heard about on the radio Global warming and other bollocks by Vincent Marks


http://www.borders.co.uk/book/global-warming-and-other-bollocks-the-truth-about-all-those-science-scare-stories/1185555/


This sounds great, hugely open to debate about his views but it makes a change from reading the standard lines about global warming and fat intake. As you are aware I always like to be a little argumentative so it could make dinner conversations fun. Ill let you know what I think once its released.





Lastly, I'm kinda thinking about a sport climbing trip to Malham cove in July/August time. I know its not the sunny destinations of Spain, France etc but I can get 2 days in without too much hassle. I have also been told that chapel head is lovely and its all within the same kinda area. I don't plan on sending any big numbers but motivation is sorely lacking at the moment with all this horrible sunny weather ruining the good conditions!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Tim, Ann is quite correct to say that its only you working class males who walk around town with their tops off.
    On the subject of that running book I read an article about it somewhere, I belive the author thinks that modern running shoes only make feet weak - much little an arm in a cast quickly looses muscle - and that the shitter the shoes the better. I ran the connemarathon in a pair of decathlon runners, cost 12Euro. No problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the theory he uses, it's also true the older my shoes get the less knee problems I have. He also says that running shoes incourage you to run in a style that is somewhat unnatrual to the body..

    ReplyDelete